So from my last post you all know there have been some female health issues I am working through. Becoming anemic has been one of the side effects-so I have been looking for lean sources of protein for this prep that are higher in iron.
Bison has an average of 3.42mg of iron per 100g compared to beef (which is higher in fat) that has an average of 2.72mg for 100g of select cuts. So all of this to say- if you’re watching your fat but want to up protein and iron content, bison is worth the investment. It’s a little more expensive but you know what else is expensive? Being sick. So I would rather pay a little more on eating the right thing to try and reduce my likelihood of going back to the hospital. I was in there this weekend and if I never went back it would be too soon.
So- I marinated these beautiful bison steaks for two days before grilling them. They were so, so good. I actually cannot wait to have them again.
- 2 6oz bison sirloin steaks
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced or paste
- 2 tbsp spicy mustard (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup walden farms syrup (if you’re not worried about carb macros you can use honey or maple syrup
Macro Breakdown: per serving- Carbs: 5.7g, Protein: 39.7g, Fat: 4g
- in a large tupperware container whisk together all marinade ingredients.
- place steaks in marinade and shake so they are completely covered.
- allow steaks to marinate for 6hours to 2 days
- preheat your grill to med/high heat
- place steaks on the grill and cook to your desired doneness (I am so surprised that’s a real word) I personally did medium rare so it was just under 3-5minutes per side
- let steaks sit 5-10min before serving